There are no real changes other than adding more modern trades and a few modern skills. All of the below trades/skills will be under Craft: [new trade/skill here].
- Network Technician: you know how to run wiring and setup and troubleshoot networks both wired and wireless. You cannot use this skill to hack into a network, but if you do have this you gain a +2 to your Disable Device check to hack the network.
- Electrician: you know how to run electrical wiring and can be an electrician.
- Electronic Repair: with this you can attempt to repair electronic devices. Base TN is 20 and for every 5 you roll over, you “heal”/repair 1d6 damage to an electronic device.
- Automotive Repair: with this you can fix and modify vehicles with existing parts/enhancements. To replace a part requires a TN of 20. To repair damage, the base TN is 20 and for every 5 you roll over you repair 1d6 damage to an automobile.
- Aeronautic Repair: Like Automotive Repair, but for air vehicles including fixed-wing, VTOL, and rotary vehicles.
- Robotics: You know how to build, repair, and program robots and drones. You can install any level of AI into a robot, but you cannot program an AI yourself. That is done with Computer Use. You can however, program rudimentary commands that the robot or drone will follow exactly.
Because of the inter-connectivity of all modern devices and electronics, if you have at least 3 ranks in one of the above Craft skills, you can attempt any of the other above Craft skills (and only those above) at a -5.
Though this remains the same for the most part, it can also be used for negotiations (which it could previously) of a more illicit nature (which it couldn’t previously). Provided you have at least 2 ranks in Knowledge: Street, you can use your Diplomacy as a Hook Up skill to obtain illicit goods (e.g. illegal unregistered weapons, military grade electronics and software, drugs–it’s always drugs).
This formerly “rogue-only” skill is now open to Bards (Rocker/Journalist) and is exactly the same, but it has some changes worth mentioning. First, it can be used for Hacking. To do so, you must also have at least 1 rank in the new skill Computer Use (detailed later). Provided you have this, you may hack into any computer, device, or network just like opening a lock or disarming a trap. The quality of their computer or communicator will also provide bonuses. Second, like with analog locks, you can now use this to disable electronic locks provided he has Electronic Lockpicks.
This has only changed to cover the type of vehicle you fly. It will essentially be Fly: [vehicle]. It is still trained and is considered a class skill for all classes now. Here are the types that will cover a group of flying vehicles.
- Fixed Wing: this allows you to fly any airplane with fixed wings including small personal craft, jet fighters, and commercial aircraft.
- Aerodyne: this allows you to fly the various personal VTOL vehicles (the proverbial “flying car”).
Rotary: this allows you to fly helicopters of all sizes.
- Personal: this allows you to fly by means of spells or psionics, or rather control yourself while the appropriate spell or psionic is active.
Note: just because you have skill and can fly the specific vehicle doesn’t mean you can afford it.
Heal has not changed, but having at least 1 rank now allows you to use the Combat Drugs detailed in the Equipment section.
Like with Craft, Knowledge only has more sub-categories to account for new knowledge and sciences. Thus, there are too many to list, but sufficed to say it will cover that area of knowledge (scientific or otherwise) and will be listed as Knowledge: Biology or Knowledge: Physics for example. Because of universal public education (even in the non-free cities), all Knowledge skills are considered class skills for all classes, but you still need to put ranks in the skill.
Like Fly, this has only changed to account for new vehicles. It still includes riding animals, but like with vehicles you must specify. Luckily all Animal Mounts are covered under the Ride: Beast. Also, like Fly, this is now a class skill for all classes. Here are the specific sub-types.
- Motorcycle: allows you to ride any two-wheeled motor vehicle.
- Automobile: allows you to drive cars of all sizes up to trucks.
- Semi/Commercial: allows you to drive multi-axle vehicles with or without pulling trailers, such as caravans, busses, and semi-trucks.
- Treaded: this allows you to drive treaded-vehicles like tanks, heavy construction equipment, and anything else that has treads instead of wheels.
Because of a measure of standardizations and universality, you can attempt to drive a vehicle from the other category at a -2.